Hare's Moon Yarns is now open! Click here for handspun gorgeous yarns from England.

For knitting patterns on sale by instant digital download, see our range here: Hare's Moon knitting patterns.

Tuesday 22 February 2011

I may never knit for myself again!

A couple of years ago, my mother-in-law moved into a nursing home. She suggested that I knit a few things and then she would see if anyone there would like to buy them, with the money going into Ray's account. We started with baby clothes; that may sound strange for a nursing home, but most of the residents there have large families that continually produce children, so there were plenty of takers for the little jackets and bonnets I sent over.

My mother-in-law has diabetic neuropathy. Her feet have swolen and are often cold. Shop-bought socks are too tight across the opening and dig into her ankles, so I said I would knit her a couple of pairs of socks myself. I knit fairly lose anyway but the openings are not at all tight.

People see my mother-in-law's socks because they are bright colours. I knitted a pair for the lady who has a room opposite my mother-in-law's for Christmas this year, as Candy is such a sweet lady and always pops her head round the door to say hello when I visit. Candy's socks were purple with mint hearts around the top.



Earlier this year, my dearest friend died. She was also a passionate knitter and had several pairs of hand-knitted socks that her husband and I agreed could go to the nursing home for the residents.

Today I got a letter from my mother-in-law. We talk on the phone every 10 days or so, but we also write conventional letters as well because it is too expensive for her to call me overseas. In her letter, she asks if I can knit the multi-coloured socks like the ones we sent from my friend, and has gven me a list of new colours that people at the nursing home would like their socks to be in. I knit them on double-pointed needles and we sell them for $5 which covers the yarn, and I'm really pleased that I can make something that so many people are finding useful.

It just means that I may never have the time to knit anything for myself ever again.

2 comments:

  1. How cool....great story! Uhhhh...do you want those commissary funds diverted to pay for his education?!? That was a crazy guy talking in the Grits blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You get all kinds of craziness on the Grits blog!

    Ray already has his High School Diploma, so the GED programm is no use to him. For others that don't have it, educating people while in prison is one of the most fundamental things any government can do to reduce the recidivism number. But it does make me wonder in Texas how so many individuals get through their formal schooling without adequate qualifications - more money needs to be invested there too.

    What really annoys us at the moment is the lack of academic correspondence courses available to inmates. All we have found so far are religious ones. Ray would rather study history or literature, but there is nothing available outside of the Windham School and he doesn't want to give up his job to study.

    ReplyDelete

Why not take a look at the rest of this blog after you have posted your comment - lots of posts about TDCJ, knitting and other observations!